Spinal decompression is a non surgical therapy that involves the inconvenient stretching of the spine to correct the position of the spine. This FDA approved therapy removes the pressure from the spinal discs or the gel-like cushions found between the individual bones of the spine which helps to improve the flow of nutrient-rich foods, oxygen and water throughout the spinal disks.
The spine becomes naturally condensed as one ages hence symptoms such as reduced mobility, inflammation and pain may be observed. Most people will begin experiencing back and neck pains as the body changes with age.
Spinal decompression therapy can treat the following:
- Injured or afflicted spinal nerve roots
- Posterior facet syndrome or worn spinal joints
- Neck and back pain
- Bulging, herniated or deteriorating disc disease
- Pain, weakness or a tingling sensation in the leg known as sciatica
How It Works
Spinal decompression therapy is a non-invasive and highly effective chiropractic treatment that helps to reduce tension bringing an outer sense of relaxation and peace. While low-impact exercises, yoga, injections and pain medications are recommended as healthy alternatives to treat lower back pain, these home remedies may cause more harm than good. It is important to seek help from a traction therapy professional to avoid potential spinal injuries that could be dangerous.
A specialized mechanical device or chiropractor’s hands are used to generate a negative pressure in the areas that are distressed. This procedure is safer and painless and has fewer side effects compared to surgery. It is also comfortable and has a less recovery time.
Benefits of Spinal Decompression
Spinal decompression can help you feel better due to its many benefits that include:
- Pain relief: Decompression therapy relieves tension in spasming, injured or tight muscles thus stimulating your nervous system to release neurochemicals that provide pain relief to the body. A few sessions of spinal decompression can provide significant pain relief.
- Heals your spinal disc tissues: This therapy helps to draw cells, fluids and other important substances towards damaged tissues by imposing a vacuum-like force on your spinal discs.
- Restoration of normal joint and spinal disc alignment: Poor body mechanics, stress, smoking among other factors can cause joints to move out of place or herniated discs. Decompression therapy helps to realign the joints and herniated discs which prevents dysfunction, impaired mobility, pain and inflammation.
- Maximizing your spinal health: A healthy spine helps to support a healthy body. Spinal decompression accelerates the effectiveness of other spinal healing approaches by maximizing your spinal health and function.
- Reduces pressure on your spinal nerves: Your spinal nerves may get pinched when bones, discs and other tissues encroach on the spinal column’s nerve exit spaces. Decompressing your spine will increase the spaces around the impinged and inflamed nerves allowing them to begin healing
Results of a spinal decompression therapy may vary from one person to another due to many factors such as dedication to the therapy, healthy eating, lifestyle and body type, therefore, no individual result is typical.